The Teacher Dashboard
The Teacher Dashboard is a private view that gives you more insight into each student's progress. While the Projector View displays answers anonymously by default and is what you will put up on the class projector screen, the Teacher Dashboard shows you more confidential information about each student and can be opened on private screen or separate tablet. Note: The Teacher Dashboard is a Premium Feature. Learn what's included in Pear Deck Premium.
- Open the Teacher Dashboard
- Use the Teacher Dashboard
- Customize the Dashboard
- Launch your Presentation. When you launch a Pear Deck presentation, the Projector View will open immediately.
- Click the 3-Dot Menu at the bottom, right side of your screen.
- Open Dashboard in a New Tab or Separate Device
Note: If you want to have both tabs open on the same device, just turn off mirroring on your display so you can have your private Teacher Dashboard showing on your computer screen while the student-appropriate Projector View is on the projector screen at the front of the room. Learn about mirroring.
- Slide Drawer: On the left you can preview of all your slides. This makes it easy to see what slides are coming up next and to skip ahead if you need to. The projector preview on the right shows you what the students are seeing.
- Slide Control Bar: The control bar lets you navigate your slides and control the presentation. The Join Code is always visible in case you need to tell a late student.
- Student Response Preview: As students begin responding to your question, you'll immediately see their answers on the Teacher Dashboard. You can scroll through their responses to see if anyone is lost or confused. And you can do all this privately without sharing responses on the projector.
- Student Roster: At the top right is your student roster. Click this button to see a list of all the students who have joined your session.
- Navigation Buttons: Use the arrows to move forwards and backwards through your slides. Or, open the slide drawer between the arrows to scroll through all of your slides.
- Project Responses: Click the projector button when you are ready to share responses on the projector and let students see each other's ideas. Student responses are always displayed anonymously on the projector view.
- Lock: Click this button to lock students' screens so they can't make any changes.
Lock Timer: Click and hold the Lock Button to set a countdown timer so students know how long they have to finish answering. When the timer gets to zero, the screen will lock. You can choose between 30 seconds, 1 min, and 3 min.
- Add a New Question: When you want to add an additional question to your presentation, click this button. You can re-ask the same question or drop in a totally new one to take advantage of a teachable moment. Learn more about Quick Questions.
- More Actions Menu: Go to your More Actions (3-dot) menu to do additional things like end your session or turn on Student-Paced Mode.
Customize the Dashboard
In the Dashboard, you get to control which responses are visible on the projector view. You can change the response layout, curate which responses to display, and sort responses.
Most response types have 3 layout choices: List view, Grid view, and Overlay. There are a few limitations to this (for example, text responses cannot be overlaid).
Here is what the three layouts look like on a Drawing slide. These images are taken from the Projector View,so no student names are showing.
Highlight good examples or discuss common misconceptions with the star.
For example, Mackenzie's response is starred in this image. Now, when I project responses on the Projector View, only her answer will show up there. You can star multiple responses. Click Clear Stars to display all responses on the Projector View again.
Hide a response from the Projector View by clicking the more actions (3-dot) button by the student's name. This is helpful when you encounter a response that would be distracting if it were displayed on the projector. You can also use this tool to hide certain responses because you want the class to focus on other responses. All answers are automatically saved in Pear Deck, so hiding only removes them from the Projector View!
Use the Sort by filter at the top of the Dashboard to sort answers by:
- Time of response
- Student, in alphabetical order by first name
On a Text Response question students can enter multiple answers, which is great for brainstorming or adding additional thoughts. By default, those answers will display in order of time received. But any time a student has entered multiple responses, you'll see a little indication in the corner beneath the answer. When you click on it, you will be taken to the other answer.
Scrolling in the Dashboard does not sync up to the Projector View - this way, your scrolling action can be private. But you can click or tab on a response in the Dashboard, and the Projector View will highlight that response!