Want to show a video about the Mars Rover in your Pear Deck presentation? Need to carefully transition items into a slide to reduce information overload? Did you find the perfect GIF of a plant emerging from its seed? To make your videos, animations, and GIFs to play at full resolution when you present with Pear Deck, install the Power-up Google Chrome extension. This article covers the following topics:
- How to get the extension
- Presenting the right way
- A word to the wise
Please note that the extension is only available for Chrome, and for users who log into Pear Deck with a Google account, at this time.
How to get the extension
Install the Power-up from the Chrome Web Store on the device you use in class. When you present with Pear Deck using the Add-on, the Power-up magically enables the display of your animations on the Projector and Student Views. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the Google Chrome Web Store.
- Click Install via Chrome Store.
- In the Google Chrome Web Store, click Add to Chrome.
- Click Add extension.
- Voilà! When the extension is installed successfully, you will see the logo in your Chrome browser. Each time you present a Pear Deck with the Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on, your videos, animations, and GIFs will play at full resolution (see the specifics below).
Presenting the right way
Powering up is easy, but follow these guidelines so your presentation runs smoothly!
- The extension works when you present with the Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on in Google Slides. It does not work when you present from the Pear Deck Home or Sessions menu.
- Slide transitions work on the Projector and Student Views, but not on the Dashboard View.
- GIFs and videos play on the Projector View, but not on the Student or Dashboard Views. If you want students to play videos and see GIFs on their screens, you can still add them to a web slide.
- Present a teacher-led Session. The extension does not operate in Student-Paced mode at this time.
- The extension works on one presentation, per Deck, at a time. You can run a second Session with a different Deck, but the extension won't function on it. To present a second Session, go to Pear Deck Home, find your file under Recent Activity, and click Start Presenting.
If you need assistance, please write to email@example.com.
A word to the wise
Powering up is pretty cool, but rest assured that your Pear Deck for Google Slides presentations will work exactly as they always have even if you never install it the extension. The interactivity and student engagement you know and love will work just as it always has; no animations needed.
There’s a strong case to be made for avoiding information overload. As our own Slide Doctor advises us, visual content should be a delightful and helpful counterpart to your valuable lesson! So keep it simple and easy to scan, and keep those cat GIFs to a minimum!