The Teacher Dashboard is a private view that gives you more insight into each student's progress. While the Projector View displays answers anonymously by default and is what you will put up on the class projector screen, the Teacher Dashboard shows you more confidential information about each student and can be opened on private screen or separate tablet. Please note: The Teacher Dashboard is a Premium Feature.
- Open the Teacher Dashboard
- Use the Teacher Dashboard
- Quick Tour of the Dashboard
- Slide Control Bar
- Customize the Dashboard
- Change the Response Layout
- Curate Answers to Display
- Sort Student Responses
- Scroll the Projector View from the Dashboard
Open the Teacher Dashboard
1. Launch your Presentation. The Projector View will open immediately.
Optional: You may open the Dashboard right away by clicking Open Teacher Dashboard. It will open for you in a separate window. If you are working with two devices, turn off mirroring on your display monitor, then move the Dashboard window to a private device. Learn about mirroring.
2. Click on the More Actions (three-dots) Menu on the Navigation Bar on any slide and open the Dashboard. The Dashboard View will open in a separate window.
Use the Teacher Dashboard
Here's a quick tour of the Dashboard.
- Slide Drawer: On the left side you can preview of all your slides. The right side is the Projector preview.
- The Navigation Bar: The Navigation bar lets you navigate your slides and control the presentation.
- Student Response Preview: As students begin responding to your question, you'll immediately see their responses. You can scroll through the responses to see if anyone is lost or confused. You can do all this privately without sharing responses on the projector.
- Student Roster: The student roster is in the top right corner where you see the number of students who have joined your session. Click this button to see the list of who has joined.
The Slide Control Bar
- Navigation Buttons: Use the slide arrows to move through your slides. Or, open the slide drawer between the arrows to jump ahead and/or get a preview of what students will see on each slide.
- Notes: Click this button to open your speaker notes from Google Slides.
- Show Responses: Click here when you are ready to share responses on the projector. Student responses are always displayed anonymously on the Projector View.
- Lock: Click this button to lock students' screens so they can't make any changes.
Lock Timer: Click and hold the Lock Button to set a countdown timer so students know how long they have to finish answering. When the timer gets to zero, all student screens will lock. You can choose between 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 3 minutes.
- Add a New Question: When you want to add an additional question to your presentation, click this button. You can re-ask the same question or drop in a new pre-set question to take advantage of a teachable moment. Learn more about Quick Questions.
- More Actions Menu: Go to your More Actions (3-dot) menu to do additional things, like end your session or turn on Student-Paced Mode.
- END: Click this button to end the Session.
Customize the Dashboard
In the Dashboard, you get to control which responses are visible on the projector view. You can change the response layout, curate which responses to display, and sort responses.
Change the Response Layout
Most response types have 3 layout choices: List view, Grid view, and Overlay. There are a few limitations to this (for example, text responses cannot be overlaid).
Here is what the three layouts look like on a Drawing slide. These images are taken from the Projector View, so no student names are showing.
Curate answers to display on the Projector
Highlight good examples or common misconceptions with the star button.
For example, Naomi and Mackenzie's responses are starred in this image. Now, when I project responses, only their answers will display on the Projector View. You can star multiple responses. Click Clear Stars to display all responses on the Projector View again.
Hide a response from the Projector View by clicking the More Actions (3-dot) button next to the student's name and select Hide Response. This is helpful when a student has submitted an inappropriate or distracting response, when you want to hide a deleted response, or simply focus the discussion. All answers are automatically saved in Pear Deck, so hiding only removes them from the Projector View!
Use the Sort by filter at the top of the Dashboard to sort answers by:
- Time of response
- Student, in alphabetical order by first name
On a Text Response question students can enter multiple answers, which is great for brainstorming or adding additional thoughts. By default, those answers will display in order of time received. But any time a student has entered multiple responses, you'll see a little indication in the corner beneath the answer. When you click on it, you will be taken to the other answer.
Scroll the Projector View from the Dashboard
Scrolling in the Dashboard does not sync up to the Projector View - this way, your scrolling action can be private. But you can click or tab on a response in the Dashboard, and the Projector View will highlight that response!