The first step to engaging your students with interactive presentations is to create a new Pear Deck account. To get started, go to Pear Deck website, Google Slides, or PowerPoint Online and log in with the Google or Microsoft Office 365 account you want to use.
- Account requirements for Pear Deck
- Create an account. You can choose one of these options:
- Find your account information
Account Requirements for Pear Deck
To create and present Pear Decks, you'll need a Google or Microsoft Office 365 account. This means that:
- You can use a personal, educational, or business email account.
- Pear Deck files you create are saved automatically in your Google Drive or OneDrive.
- If you log in with Google, you can automatically generate student notes documents called Takeaways™ in Google Docs (a Premium feature), or export student responses to Google Spreadsheets.
- If you have Google Classroom, you can invite a Class to join with Google Classroom in the Dashboard, and post Takeaways™ links to their Classroom feed.
- Teachers logging in with a Microsoft Office 365 account can invite students to join their presentation Session in Microsoft Teams.
- If you want to see exactly who joins your presentation Sessions and leaves each response, you can require students to sign into your Sessions with their Microsoft Office 365 or Google accounts. Alternatively, you can make login anonymous, too. Learn more here. Students do not need a Pear Deck account to join Sessions and respond to interactive questions.
- Pear Deck is a great fit for schools that use Google Apps for Education or Microsoft 365 for Education! If you're a school Administrator, please reference the following pages to make sure teachers can get Pear Deck at your site:
Start from the Pear Deck website
1. Go to peardeck.com and click Teacher Login.
2. Choose the type of account with which you want to log in.
3. You'll be asked to grant Pear Deck access to your Google Drive or OneDrive. Then, answer a few account setup questions. We do not collect data from those who choose Student*.
- Select your role.
- Click Authorize to connect Pear Deck to your Google Drive or OneDrive. You'll be prompted to sign in with your email and password and you will be asked to grant Pear Deck permissions.
- Enter your postal code and school. If you do not have a US postal code or your school does not appear on the drop-down list, no problem! Just type in the name of your school or any 5 numbers in place of a postal code.
- Click Get Started to start a new presentation with interactive questions. Your free 30-day trial of Pear Deck Premium will begin automatically!
- Open any Google Slides (if you used a Google account) or PowerPoint Online presentation (if you use a Microsoft Office 365 account) and get the Pear Deck Add-on or Add-on. Follow the steps below to learn how!
Start from Google Slides and get the Add-on
If you're signing in with Google, you can get the Pear Deck Add-on in Google Slides and start your Pear Deck account at once.
1. Open any Google Slides presentation.
2. Get the Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on:
- Click Add-ons > Get add-ons
- In the G Suite Marketplace window, search for the Pear Deck Add-on and click on it.
- On the Pear Deck page in the G Suite Marketplace, click Install.
- When you see the message"Pear Deck for Google Slides... needs your permission in order to start installing," click Continue.
- Select the account you want to use with Pear Deck.
- On the next screen, click Allow to grant Pear Deck access to your Google account.
We ask for third-party app permissions to access your Google account because we store your Pear Deck files in your Google Drive. We also need to access your file so we can add interactive questions to it. To learn about our approach to data privacy, please see the Pear Deck Commitment to Privacy.
- Now that you've installed the Pear Deck Add-on, you can go back and open it at any time from the same Add-ons menu.
3. Finally, answer the Pear Deck account setup questions. You'll be prompted to do this when you try to present with Pear Deck.
4. Once you finish answering the account setup questions, you can open Pear Deck from the Add-ons menu of any Google Slides presentation and create new interactive lessons.
Start from PowerPoint Online and get the Add-in
If you're signing in with Microsoft Office 365, you can create your Pear Deck account and get the PowerPoint Online Add-in by following these steps:
1. Open any PowerPoint Online presentation.
2. Click Insert > Add-ins. You may need to click on the three-dots or expand your browser window in order to see the Add-ins button. 3. In the Office Add-ins menu, search for Pear Deck and click to install it for free from the Add-in store.
4. Click on the Home tab. Then click on the More Options (3-dots) button and select Pear Deck.
5. The Pear Deck Sidebar opens. Click Log In.
6. Fill out your account information and click Authorize with Microsoft.
7. Going forward, click on the Home tab. Then click on the More Options (3-dots) button and select Pear Deck to open the sidebar and create new interactive lessons.
Find your account information
Once you create a Pear Deck account, you can always go to https://app.peardeck.com/home, your personal Pear Deck Home. Your files are all automatically saved in Google Drive or OneDrive depending on your login type, but you can view and present recent files, open Sessions (where students' responses are automatically stored), My Account information, and your Pear Deck Settings all from your Pear Deck Home.
Do students need a Pear Deck account?
Nope! Joining Sessions as a student/ participant does not require a Pear Deck account. However, there are a couple of things to know about student login:
- Teachers can require students to sign in with a Google or Microsoft Office 365 account when joining their Sessions (recommended). Learn more here.
- If students want to create and present their own Pear Deck lessons, they do need to create an account following the steps in this article.
*We do not collect student data. Anyone who chooses the role of Student in the account setup process will either be directed to joinpd.com to join a presentation, or allowed to create their own presentation without answering any further identifying questions.
If I create an account with Google login credentials, can I use Pear Deck in PowerPoint Online (and vice versa)?
Your Pear Deck account is attached to your email login and the platform (Microsoft Office 365 or Google) associated with it. Therefore, if you created your account with a Google email address you'll need to open Google Slides to access Pear Deck. If you created your account with a Microsoft Office 365 email address, you'll need to open PowerPoint Online to access Pear Deck.
I don't have a US postal code/ my school is not on the list in the account setup screen. Can I still create a Pear Deck account?
Absolutely. If you do not have a US postal code or your school is not on the drop-down list, please type in the name of your school or any 5 numbers in place of a postal code.
Why does Pear Deck need access to my Drive?
We ask for third-party app permissions to access your Google account because we store your Pear Deck files in your Google Drive. We also need to access your file when you want to add interactive questions to it. To learn about our approach to data privacy, please see the Pear Deck Commitment to Privacy.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com!