When you integrate Pear Deck into Canvas, you turn a Pear Deck Session into an Assignment. This gives your students in Canvas instant access to the Session without needing a Join Code or Link, like they do in a traditional Pear Deck presentation Session. Not only do you automatically save the responses you collect in your Sessions menu like always, but Canvas allows you to grade these responses all in one place. Here's what to do:
This integration is available only to users who have a district-wide subscription to Pear Deck at this time! Please ask your school's Pear Deck administrator if you are eligible, or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Administrators, please read this article to learn how to install the Pear Deck integration into Canvas.
- Start a Pear Deck assignment (Teachers)
- Have students complete your assignment
- Grade your assignment
Start a Pear Deck assignment (Teachers)
- Have an interactive Pear Deck for Google Slides or PowerPoint Online Slides file ready to present. The presentation files are saved automatically in your Google Drive or OneDrive and you will select the one you want to present to students in Step 10.
- Open Canvas.
- Go to Assignments.
- Click on +Assignment.
- Customize your assignment. To add an interactive Pear Deck presentation, scroll down to Submission Type.
- Next to Submission Type, open the drop-down menu and select External Tool. Then click Find to search for Pear Deck:
The Canvas Administrator must first install Pear Deck in order for it to appear in this list. After it is installed, you will see it in the list of External Tools that appears when you click on the Find button.
- In the list of External Tools, click on Pear Deck and then click on Select.
- The Pear Deck URL appears in the External URL field of the Submission Type section.
- When you are done customizing your assignment, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Save and Publish button.
- Click Select a file from Drive. The first time you present a Pear Deck file in Canvas, you will be required to log into Pear Deck. You may log into your Pear Deck Home in another tab to assure that this works:
- The file chooser screen opens. Select the Pear Deck for Google Slides or PowerPoint Online Slides presentation you want students to complete.
- Choose your Lesson Mode. One of the Presenter Views (Projector or Dashboard) opens for you in Canvas, depending on the Lesson Mode you choose:
- Student-Paced Mode (asynchronous; recommended for this integration): For the teacher, the private Dashboard View opens so you can see students' names next to their responses in real time. When students open this assignment, they get simple navigation controls on their Student View, allowing them to scroll through the slides in your presentation Session and respond to the interactive questions.
- Instructor-Paced Mode (synchronous): The Projector View opens and responses are anonymous by default on this View. The Student View of the slides syncs up to your slide on the Projector View, so you will need to click through the slides so students can see them and respond to interactive questions.
- In either view, you can use the Navigation Bar controls to scroll through the slides, show responses, open the More Actions (3-dots) menu to change the Lesson Mode, open the Dashboard in a new window, and more.
Have students complete your assignment
Here's what students do after you start your assignment:
- Open Canvas.
- Go to Courses.
- Click on the Assignment you created.
- Scroll through the slides and respond to interactive questions.
- If your Session is in Student-Paced Mode, students will be able to click Submit Work to turn it in at the end.
- Students' responses are saved as always in the teacher's Pear Deck Home Sessions.
Grade your assignment
In Canvas, you can grade assignments by completion and see the status of assignments for individual students. You can also open the Dashboard to view responses, and manually assign points in the Gradebook. You can also evaluate individual responses in Pear Deck.
- Go to Courses and select your course.
- In Course Options, select Grades. Use the Canvas tools to customize your grading options.
- Go back to the Courses page, and click on the Assignment to open the Teacher Dashboard. Click through the slides in the Dashboard to see the individual responses with their names (if the Projector View is open, click on the 3-dots menu to open the Dashboard in a new tab so you can see the names).
- You can toggle back to the Grades page to adjust point values.
- In the Dashboard, you can leave feedback for individual students with Pear Deck Teacher Feedback.
In Pear Deck:
- Open the Teacher Dashboard and click on a slide to view all of the responses you've collected on it. You can open this Dashboard View within your Pear Deck Assignment in Canvas!
Export responses to a Spreadsheet (when you log into Pear Deck with Google)
Publish Takeaways™ (when you log into Pear Deck Google)