Technical Requirements for Pear Deck
This article covers all of the known technical requirements for using Pear Deck in your school or classroom. In most cases, Pear Deck works automatically!
- Supported Devices and Browsers
- Google Accounts, Settings, and Permissions
- Network Infrastructure and Firewalls
Supported Devices and Browsers
We actively support Chrome, Firefox, and Safari users. Pear Deck works great in these browsers on all kinds of devices, including:
- Laptops and desktops, including Mac, PC, or linux
- Android devices, including phones and tablets
- iPhones, iPods, and iPads. While you can join a presentation on these devices, please note that editing in Google Slides with Add-ons, such as the Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on, is not supported on these devices.
We don't support Internet Explorer. Sorry! Luckily, upgrading is free. See our article about upgrading.
Google Accounts, Settings, and Permissions
Pear Deck requires that all users, including teachers and students, have a Google account. Typically, this means that a school or organization has implemented Google Apps for Education. In order to install the Pear Deck application from the Chrome Webstore or Apps Marketplace, a Google Domain Administrator must allow users to install Chrome Applications.
Pear Deck will require different Google permissions based on your user type.
For a teacher/presenter, Pear Deck requires permissions in order for you to create, save, and share your Pear Deck files.
In the Google Slides Editor, we need access to:
- View the files in your Google Drive
- View and manage Google Drive files and folders that you have opened or created with this app
- Add Pear Deck to Google Drive
- View your Google Slides presentations
For a student/participant, joining a Session requires permissions in order identify you to the presenter and save your responses.
Pear Deck uses some third parties that require cookies to operate. We expect to set cookies from:
We have a quick guide about allowing the necessary cookies in Google Chrome at this link.
Network Infrastructure and Firewalls
Pear Deck requires that all devices in a classroom maintain an internet connection (i.e. stable WiFi).
In some cases, network and connectivity problems may persist and require further troubleshooting which may include the whitelisting of the underlying services used by Pear Deck. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe this may be a problem on your network.
The following domains should be allowed through your firewall:
This is what we use for all realtime communication during class.
- *.googleapis.com, *.google.com, *.googleusercontent.com, *.gstatic.com
We use these to talk to Google.
We use it to store images shown on student computers.
This is the Student Join URL.
- Optional: notify.bugsnag.com
We use this to collect extra information if something happens to go wrong.
- Optional: *.intercom.io
We use this to provide help to teachers in the app, so they don't need to email us. We don't use it with students.
We will try to make requests to some additional domains for analytics and error reporting, but those services aren't necessary to operate Pear Deck.