Technical Requirements for Pear Deck
This article covers all of the known technical requirements for using Pear Deck in your school or classroom. In most cases, Pear Deck works automatically!
- Supported Devices and Browsers
- Google Accounts, Settings, and Permissions
- Network Infrastructure and Firewalls
Supported Devices and Browsers
We actively support Chrome, Firefox, and Safari users. Pear Deck works great in these browsers on all kinds of devices, including:
- iPhones, iPods, and iPads
- laptops and desktops (Mac, PC, or linux)
- Android devices (phones and tablets)
We don't support Internet Explorer. Sorry! Luckily, upgrading is free. See our article about upgrading.
Google Accounts, Settings, and Permissions
Pear Deck requires that all users (both teachers and students) have a Google account. Typically, this means that a school or organization has implemented Google Apps for Education.
In order to install the Pear Deck application from the Chrome Webstore or Apps Marketplace, a Google Domain Administrator must allow users to install Chrome Applications.
Pear Deck will require different Google permissions based on your user type.
- Creating and presenting Pear Decks (typically Teachers) - Pear Deck requires permissions in order create, save, and share Pear Deck files. Optionally, we need access to all of your files in order for our file picker to access Google Drive to select images, PDFs or other files to import into Pear Deck, but we'll ask for that separately.
- Joining a Pear Deck as a participant (typically Students) - Pear Deck requires permission in order identify you to the presenter and save your responses.
Pear Deck uses some third parties that require cookies to operate. We expect to set cookies from:
We have a quick guide about allowing the necessary cookies in Google Chrome at this link.
Network Infrastructure and Firewalls
Pear Deck requires that all devices in a classroom maintain an internet connection (i.e. stable WiFi).
In some cases, network and connectivity problems may persist and require further troubleshooting which may include the whitelisting of the underlying services used by Pear Deck. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe this may be a problem on your network.
The following domains should be allowed through your firewall:
This is what we use for all realtime communication during class.
- *.googleapis.com, *.google.com, *.googleusercontent.com, *.gstatic.com
We use these to talk to Google.
We use it to store images shown on student computers.
This is the Student Join URL.
- Optional: notify.bugsnag.com
We use this to collect extra information if something happens to go wrong.
- Optional: *.intercom.io
We use this to provide help to teachers in the app, so they don't need to email us. We don't use it with students.
We will try to make requests to some additional domains for analytics and error reporting, but those services aren't necessary to operate Pear Deck.