Pear Deck is often used to engage students in a lesson in real time. But you can also give a Pear Deck lesson to a student who missed class, flip your lesson, differentiate or scaffold instruction during class, and more!
- Turn on Student-Paced Mode
- See what Students are Doing
Turn on Student-Paced Mode
In the middle of a presentation, flip on Student-Paced mode from the More Actions (3-dot) Menu.
- Click the More Actions (3-dot) button at the far right corner of your Navigation bar.
- Click Turn on Student-Paced.
- Students now have a simple navigation bar at the bottom of their screen, so they can move through all of your slides on their own. They will be able to see the main slide content and the answer input. Here is an example of the Student View in a Student-Paced Session:
- Leave the Session. You don't need to keep your tab open if you don't want to. Simply close your session browser tab to leave the Session without turning off access for your students.
- Stop Student-Paced. Let's say you want to draw students' attention to the front of the room and sync everyone up to your screen. Just go to the Navigation bar and click Stop Student-Paced. This stops Student-Paced mode, but leaves the Session active and gives you control of the slides again.
- End the Session. When you want students to stop having access to the Session at all, open the More Actions Menu and click End This Session. Or simply click END.
You can also turn Student-Paced mode on or off from any Sessions Menu.
- Start presenting your presentation file. This will open an active Session.
- Go to your Pear Deck Home.
- Go directly to your Sessions menu and find the Session you are presenting. OR go to Recent Files and click on the file you are presenting to open the file modal menu.
- Find the Session and make sure it is active, as indicated by the green circle. If you need to reopen it, see step #7 below.
- Click on the More Actions (3-dot) button.
- Click Turn On Student-Paced. You can also click Turn Off Student-Paced when you're done.
- Please note that the Session must be active for Student-Paced mode to work. If your Session is closed, click Reopen Session first and then you'll have the option to turn on Student-Paced.
Now students can join the Session and work through it anywhere, as long as they have a stable internet connection, and the link or the join code to access your session. You can even close your browser or turn off your device! To verify that the the Session is in Student-Paced mode, just go to your Sessions menu. Here's one that is ready for students to join and work through on their own:
See what Students are Doing
When you turn on Student-Paced Mode, your students can suddenly flit through slides as they wish. This can make it hard to know where each student is or if they might be stuck. So we built some special tools into the Teacher Dashboard (a Premium feature) to help you keep track of what each student is doing.
Look at the Progress Bars and see who is signed in
At the bottom of each slide thumbnail, you can see a little green progress bar to show you roughly what percentage of the class is done with that slide. In the example below, I can see that most of my class is done with the top slide. These blue person icons will appear to tell you the exact number of students on each slide.
In this example, I saw that some students are falling behind the rest of the class. I clicked on the blue person icon to see their names so I could check in on them.
And that is how you can use Student-Paced Mode to let students move through a lesson at their own speed!
What is the difference between the normal presentation mode and Student-paced mode?
When you start presenting a Pear Deck file, you automatically start a new Session for your students to join and follow along with your Projector screen. But if you want them to move through the lesson at their own pace, turn on Student-Paced, and students will be free to move forward and backward through the slides and answer the interactive questions on their own screens.
Can any kind of Session be set to Student-Paced mode?
Yes, you can turn any Pear Deck Session into a Student-Paced Session.
Can students use this at home?
Yes, and it's perfect for flipping the class, assigning homework, and letting a student who missed class catch up with a lesson! Just start your Session, turn on Student-Paced, and make sure students have the unique Session Join Code. They will be able to log in with their Google account and the Join Code.
Is it okay to turn Student-Paced on/ off in the middle of a lesson?
Yes. You can toggle Student-Paced mode on or off at any time , whether students are currently logged in or not. No data will be lost! If students are moving at their own pace and you turn Student-Paced Mode off, their screens will sync back to whatever slide you're looking at on the Projector View. If you turn it back on, each student will be returned to the slide they were on previously.
Do students' responses show up on the Projector during Student-Paced mode?
While Pear Deck still saves responses automatically, these responses will not be displayed on the Projector View during Student-Paced mode. If you want to show the answers to the class later, simply turn off Student-Paced mode, go back to the slide, and show the responses you collected on the Projector View.
Can I see what my students are doing?
Yes you can, with the private Teacher Dashboard, a Premium feature. Check out the See what Students are Doing section, above!
Will this still work if I close my browser or turn off my device?
Yes, you can close your browser or turn off your device and it will still work! You choose when to end Student-Paced mode. To verify or control the Session status, go to your Sessions menu.