Using the Teacher Dashboard
The Teacher Dashboard is a private view to give you more insight into each individual student. While the Projector View displays answers anonymously and is what you will put up on the class projector screen, the Teacher Dashboard shows you more confidential information about each student and can be opened on private screen or separate tablet. Note: The Teacher Dashboard is a Premium Feature. Learn what's included in Pear Deck Premium.
- How to Open the Teacher Dashboard
- How to Use the Teacher Dashboard
- Customize Your Dashboard
- Launch your Presentation - When you launch a Pear Deck presentation, the Projector View will immediately open.
- Click the 3-Dot Menu at the bottom, right side of your screen.
- Open Dashboard in a New Tab or Separate Device
Note: if you want to have both tabs open on the same device, you need to turn off mirroring on your display, so you can have your private Teacher Dashboard showing on your computer screen while the student-appropriate Projector View shows on the projector screen at the front of the room. Learn about mirroring.
- Slide Drawer - On the left, you can see a preview of all your slides. This makes it easy to see what slides are coming up next and to skip ahead if you need to. Note that the preview shows you what the students are seeing. This way you know what kind of answer input they have.
- Slide Control Bar - The control bar lets you navigate your slides and control the presentation. Also notice that the Join Code is alway visible in case you need to tell a late student.
- Student Response Preview - As students begin responding to your question, you'll immediately see their answers on the Teacher Dashboard. You can scroll through their responses to see if anyone is lost or confused. And you can do all this privately without sharing the responses on the projector screen.
- Student Roster - At the top right is your student roster. If you want to see a list of all the students who have joined your lesson, just click this button.
- Navigation Buttons - The left/right arrows let you move forwards and backwards in your slideshow.
- Project Responses - Click this button when you are ready to share student responses on the projector screen so that students can see each other's ideas. Note: Student responses are always displayed anonymously on the Projector View.
- Lock - Click this button when you want students to stop answer or to look up at you. Clicking this button locks their screens so they can't make any changes. Students will be able to see a preview of their response so they can talk about it without changing it.
Lock Timer - If you hold the lock button, you can set a countdown timer so students know how long they have to finish answering. When the timer gets to zero, the screen will lock. You can choose between 30 seconds, 1 min, and 3 min.
- Add Question - When you want to add an additional question to your presentation, click this button. You will have the option to re-ask the same question again or to drop in a totally new question to take advantage of a teachable moment. Learn more about Quick Questions.
- 3-Dot Menu - Go to your "more actions" menu to do things like: End your Session when you are done with class, or Turn on Student-Paced Mode.
If you want to highlight a certain group of responses, or just hide an inappropriate response, you can control which students' responses are visible. Use the visibility controls at the top of the student list for bulk operations, or hide individual responses with the eye icon next to each student.
You can change the layout of student responses by clicking on the different options at the top of your Teacher Dashboard. Any layout changes will also be reflected on the Projector View. The same controls appear on the Projector View, so if it's more convenient, you can change the layout from there.
Most of the response types have 3 layout choices: list view, grid view, and overlay. Not every option is always available (for example, you can't overlay text responses).
Here's what the 3 layout choices look like for a Drawing question. Notice that these images are taken from the Projector View and so no student names are showing.
|List View||Overlay||Grid View|
Sometimes you might want to highlight exemplars or discuss common misconceptions you've noticed. As you scroll through student answers on the Dashboard, you can star the ones you want to discuss with the class.
For example, here I have starred Jack Thomas' response. Now when I click "Project Responses," only his answer will show on the Projector View. If I starred Mackenzie, both of their answers would display. When I click "Clear Stars," all responses will display on the Projector View again.
Use the "Sort by" filter at the top of the Dashboard to sort answers by:
- Time of response
- Response (in alphabetical order)
- Student Name (in alphabetical order by first name)
Any time students there is a Text Response question, students have the ability to enter multiple answers, which is great for brainstorming or adding additional thoughts. By default, those answers will display in order of time received. But any time a student has entered multiple responses, you'll see a little indication in the corner of their answers (like this is "1 of 2" responses). When you click on it, you will be taken to the other answer.
Let's say you are scrolling through response on your Teacher Dashboard and you want the Projector View to move to a particular response. Just click or tab on that response and the Projector View will follow suit, bringing that response into view.