Normally, Pear Deck is used for engaging students in a lesson in real-time. But you can also give a Pear Deck lesson to a student who missed class or use it to Flip your lesson.
You can turn any Pear Deck Session into a Student-Paced Session. When you start presenting a Pear Deck file, a new Session is automatically created for your students to join and follow along with you. But if you want students to move through the lesson at their own speed, you can turn it into a Student-Paced Session and students will be able to move forward and backward through the slides answering questions at their own pace.
Note: You can toggle Student-Paced mode on or off a Session at any time whether students are currently in the Session or not. No data will be lost. If students are moving at their own pace and you turn Student-Paced Mode off, they will sync back to whatever slide you are currently looking at. If you turn it back on, each student will be returned to the slide they were on previously.
When in the midst of a Presentation, you can flip on Student-Paced mode from the 3-Dot Menu
- Click the 3-Dot Menu at the far right of your navigation bar.
- Click "Turn on Student-Paced"
- Enjoy. Students can now move back and forth at their own pace. They have a simple navigation bar at the bottom of their screen. They will be able to see the main slide content and the answer input.
- Leave The Session. You don't need to keep your tab open if you don't want to. Click the 3-Dot menu again to leave the Session without turning off access for your students.
- Stop "Student-Paced." If your students are still in the room with you and you want to draw their attention to the front of the room or sync everybody up, click the "Stop" Button.
- End The Session." When you want students to stop having access to the Session (so they can no longer move through the slides or answer questions), click on the 3-Dot Menu and select "End Session."
You can turn a Session into or out of Student-Paced mode from any Session Menu. For example:
- Go to your Pear Deck Home Screen - https://app.peardeck.com/home/
- Click on a Deck. Find the Deck from which you just presented.
- Click on 3-Dot Menu. Find the Session you want to be in Student-Paced Mode and click the 3-Dot menu next to it
- Turn Student-Paced On or Off.
Note: If your Session has already been Ended, you will need to first click "Reopen Session" then "Turn on Student-Paced."
When you turn Student-Paced Mode on, suddenly students can flit through slides as they wish. This can make it harder to know where each student is or if they might be stuck. So we built in some special tools on the Teacher Dashboard to help you keep track of what each student is doing.
At the bottom of each slide thumbnail, you can see a little green progress bar to show you roughly what percentage of the class is done with that slide. In the example below, my whole class is done with the top slide, and only a few are done with the bottom slide.
Students On Slide
Little blue icons will appear to tell you the number of students on each slide. In the example below, 1 student is on the top slide, and 3 are currently answering the bottom slide.
Click on the icon to find out who's on the slide.
In the example below, I saw one student was falling behind the rest and wanted to find out who it was so I could check in with them. I clicked the icon, saw it was Jack, and was able to go talk with him to see if he was getting stuck.